Marriage Counseling & Couples Therapy - Detroit, MI
Experiencing relationship problems? Are you worried about a breakup or divorce?
The following are some of the most common signs of relationship problems:
- Feeling as if you’ve grown apart
- Lots of arguing, nagging or angry silence
- Lack of intimacy and affection – when was the last time you had enough romance or sex
- Problems do not get resolved
- Feeling unappreciated
- Your needs are not important to your partner
- Communication is often one sided, hostile, sarcastic, angry or completely avoided.
- You and your partner spend little or no time alone
- Trust issues – dishonesty, affairs, unexplained absences, secrecy regarding email, phone and text messages.
What is Brief Marriage Counseling?
Brief Marriage Counseling gives you the tools to achieve honest, respectful, two-way communication that actually prevents arguments. You can replace resentment with respect and replace arguments with caring conversations. New skills allow you to build intimacy without sacrificing your individual identities.
Brief Marriage Counseling focuses on clearing away past issues that continue to affect your present situation while developing new skills to solve your current issues. Working individually and together, you can heal old wounds, address conflicting priorities and betrayal of trust, and bring balance back into your lives. Habitual patterns of negative interaction can be replaced by fresh, passionate, love-enhancing behavior.
Whether you are about to make a relationship commitment, want to improve a good relationship, or want to save a very troubled one, Brief marriage counseling can make a significant contribution.
Length of Therapy
Couples therapy or marriage counseling sessions are client focused and solution directed using Brief Therapy. Clients collaborate with Dr. Stulberg in creating desired goals then actively participate in homework directed to test and fine- tune the skills used to resolve issues and achieve their goals. Therefore, therapy becomes more efficient and effective. Most clients successfully resolve their issues in 5 - 10 sessions!!
How to chose a Marriage Counselor or Marriage Therapist
Choosing a marriage therapist may be one of the most important relationship decisions that you make. Here are some guidelines to help you make a knowledgeable decision in improving your marriage.
- Make sure that you have chosen a licensed marriage counselor or licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT). Licensed marriage counselors (more commonly referred to as marriage and family therapists, family therapists or MFT’s) are mental health professionals with a minimum of a master’s degree and two years of supervised clinical experience by a licensed marriage and family therapist. Only then are they licensed by their state as a LMFT.
- Make sure that your licensed marriage counselor has specific training and experience in marriage and family therapy. Are they a clinical member of the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)? While individual therapists focus on indentifying or processing feelings, marriage therapists require a very different set of skills. They focus on all clients’ descriptions and interaction patterns within their relationship while helping clients set realistic and measurable goals to resolve the issues that occur between them. Clinical members of AAMFT are licensed marriage and family therapists specifically trained to diagnose and treat these relationship problems from a family systems perspective and are experienced in providing marriage counseling. Only clinical members of AAMFT have met the educational, supervision and training standards of the association and are state licensed MFT’s. Make sure that your marriage counselor is a LMFT and clinical member of AAMFT.
- Think with your gut. I tell all of my clients, you are the consumer. If you feel that your marriage counselor is helping, then you will know in a few sessions. Stick with it, even when the work is hard. Trust your gut.
Don’t wait any longer to get help in Detroit!
For over 25 years Dr. Tracey Stulberg has helped hundreds of couples successfully resolve their issues and create healthy, loving relationships in less than 10 sessions.
With a convenient location in Birmingham, Michigan we proudly serve clients from the entire Oakland county area including: